I checked my mail on the way in from work this afternoon (afternoon! Hurrah for Fridays!), and was unprepared for what I found there: a letter addressed to Sister Cox in some very familiar handwriting. So familiar because it was my own. At first I couldn't believe it - it can't be! It's too soon! But indeed it is the letter that President Borcherding had each missionary write to him or herself on the last day of the mission, to be mailed to you two years from your release date. Two years! I did the math in my head and realized that, yes, I am 24 and one half years old today, which means that I will have been in the same country for two solid years this Sunday. That hasn't happened in 5 years, which must mean it's time for another vacation!
Anyway, the letter is very short, but it got me thinking about my mission, and especially about the end of my mission. I knew then that I was going through some interesting stuff, but I had no idea it was only the appetizer, and it was all still preparing me for more to come. I often have that same feeling out here 4 hours past the end of Civilization. I guess that our whole lives, really, are preparation for the next - teaching us what we need to learn so we can succeed in more eternal realms. I can't help but wonder: what are God's learning outcomes for this unit? How am I progressing toward them? And right now while I'm waiting to lose my job (please please please lay me off) and praying that the plan includes a change of location in early June the next question is the most exciting: what's the next unit and when can it start?
1 comment:
you got your letter! you're so old!! im stoked to get mine. i have no idea what i wrote.
Post a Comment