This is the word for word and letter for letter transcription of a student test answer I received today. The prompt was "In two paragraphs, discuss the motivation and importance of the Declaration of Independence. (Why Jefferson wrote it, what impact it had on the colonists, and what impact it had on England)." And no, he's not an English language learner. I swear.
"Importance of the Declaration of Independence, was to give English more independence and advantages. Also to have more of a organized environment. but that wasn't to important. At the time it was written, English need more to gain and that was something no one would think of. cause it was something diffrent to gain as much and accomplish as much that English did."
Yup... the English sure do need independence from those oppresive colonies!
And from the runners up:
"Jefferson wrote the Declaraion of Independence to make peace with the colonist and England. I think it had more impact on England then the colonist. To have colonies in America & being in England, I think England had more power for being in America as in England. I"
"The declaration taught the colonists realized that they had duty to their country. England realized that they were not happy with their old king and wanted something new."
I promise... I do actually teach them something...lots of kids got full credit... just not these ones...
3 comments:
I think I lost some small precious bit of my patriotism by reading those...
It's a good thing your students don't read your blog. When are you coming to visit next? This weekend?
OH MY GOSH MY HUSBAND and I were CRACKING UP! That first answer is CLASSIC!
Post a Comment