Nine months ago I admitted that I failed at being a real adult and reluctantly moved back to my parents' house. As I sit here supposedly packing my bags for adulthood attempt #2, I find that I am reluctant to leave again. Turns out home is a pretty nice place to be.
Did I ever tell you about this little running joke God and I have where He tries to teach me to stop judging people and I pretent I don't notice that's what He's doing? It came to my attention one afternoon in a Soviet style apartment house in Erfurt. See, I've always been selectively judgmental. Certain triggers that I didn't even consciously notice, like guys who came home from their missions with terrible American accents in their mission language, had me assuming they just didn't try hard enough/didn't love the people enough/were dumb/etc. I know, I'm a snob, right? So no one should be surprised to find that I never could get rid of my American accent in German. Anyway, I was beginning to notice this 2 step pattern (1. Secretly judge someone 2.Experience what I'd just secretly been judgmental about) when we went to go visit an adorable Kazakh grandma named Paulina. The whole time we were there I kept getting distracted by this mole she had on the inside of her eyelid. I kept thinking how annoying it would be to blink or try to close your eyes. I laughed out loud and said "Okay, God, I get it already," when I woke up the next morning with a blister on the exact same spot as her mole had been. He has a good sense of irony, that one.
Point of the story: living in your parents' basement as an adult gets you sent straight down the "loser" chute on the Eggdicator. So of course, that's what I ended up doing. And I while I was there I met some pretty amazing people who were also living at home as adults for a surprisingly wide variety of reasons. Lessson learned (again). Apparently what I need to do now is start judging people for being rich, gorgeous, and fabulously happy!
4 comments:
Well put Emily. I totally know what you are saying, considering we are living in our parent's house as well. God knows us all too well huh? I have had those experience the same thing (2 step thing) you explained as well. Crazy. How is utah by the way?
I moved after college, and i totally.loved.it. I was probably ready to make it permanent while they were wondering when I was going to leave!
living in your parents basement is infinitely cooler than living on the main level. of course, not living with your parents is infinitely cooler than living in their basemen, so congrats on your exponential step up.
and i happen to love the erfurt sisters apartment. definitely the best sisters apartment in the mission. and i loved paula as well. until she made some soup with fish heads in it. then i didnt like her as much.
...and by Paula i meant Paulina, of course...
Post a Comment