This past Sunday a friend and I decided it would be a great idea to go up on campus and pick some fresh plums to make a plum tart. This especially seemed like a great idea because I did it last summer with some friends from the campus tree crew, and it was possibly the most beautiful dessert I have ever created. And it tasted okay, too.
So this time we picked the plums from the very same trees, and made the tart using the very same recipe, but there were some significant circumstantial differences, the first being that my current abode is about 30 degrees hotter inside than last summer's. We first noticed something was amuck when the pie crust was roughly the consistency of chocolate chip cookie dough, most likely owing to the fact that the Crisco was more than half way to melted in that sweltering kitchen. This made it impossible to make the tart walls stand up properly, so we decided that plum cobbler would be a better idea. Just throw the pastry dough on the top, and it's a whole different dessert! Right?
My neighbor suggested that since we switched desserts at the last minute, we should call it Plum Surprise, and boy was I surprised to see that plum dessert coming right back up the hatch on Monday morning! and afternoon! and evening! I'm pretty sure the plum cobbler is to blame because it is the only thing I ate between Sunday lunch and Monday surprise. Luckily, the friend who helped me make it was also the only other person who ate it, so only two of us spent our Mondays wallowing in the misery that is epic kitchen failure.
1 comment:
That is the epic-est kitchen failure ever.
You deserve a prize for that.
Post a Comment