Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools!

Item number one: I am not actually posting today after a four month hiatus. That is just an April Fool.

Item number two: How does one correctly punctuate April Fools? I mean, the day itself should be April Fools' Day because it belongs to many fools, not just one, but I just can't seem to figure it out without the day on the end.

Item number three: Here is how I celebrated this partially punctuated holiday:

For dinner I served grilled Paula Dean Poundcake and icing sandwiches (many thanks to CakeWrecks for the idea!) Mom actually took a bite of her sandwich before she figured out it wasn't made of bread and cheese.

The sandwiches were accompanied by a side of "tomato soup" made mostly of Rote Grutze (a German Jell-o-esque dessert made of rhubarb and raspberries), with some white chocolate pudding mixed in to cream it up and a little yellow dye to make it look more orangey. The "juice" in the glass is also Jell-o.

I also made a whole pitcher of Jell-o in the fridge, and Aaron totally drank it. He smelled it first and asked if I had replaced the juice with Kool-Aid for April Fools and I said yes, so he drank it. He actually finished the whole cup of partially-set Jell-o. I was impressed!

I'm a big fan of non-vindictive April Fools, so I'm glad that this year we got to celebrate in style.

7 comments:

Eleanor said...

I am a fan. I am also glad you posted on your blog. I always love reading your posts!!!

Sharon said...

That's some sweet grilled cheese and soup!

Eric said...

I, too, have puzzled about how to best punctuate this most excellent holiday, but as I can find an argument for "April Fool's Day", "April Fools' Day", and "April Fools Day", I'm afraid I don't have an authoritative opinion. I suppose the matter rests on whether the day belongs to the fools or not . . .

Denise said...

Way to go Em! I love reading your blog.

Jen Bowen said...

Great job with the food. It looks so real!

Unknown said...

SO funny, Em! I made a new blog: juliajaec.blogspot.com. Read away! ;)

liso. said...

that is awesome. i haven't been round here for a while - i'm excited to catch up!

...and this is a good beginning. i gotta get into april fools. april's fool. april's fools.
aprils fools's.